Sunday 6 November 2016

A Memory Sparked To Life By Food

I have just travelled back in time, probably over 50 years to an equally grey and dark day.
Lunch cost me no more than 94p from Waitrose. Cooking it only required boiling water in the kettle, which I added to a warmed frying pan and after I added my lunch to the water, I kept the water on a low heat, but I don't think that was really necessary. Removed lunch, let it drain a little, placed on a warmed plate. A good old squeeze of lemon juice over lunch.
Eating it was a wee bit fiddly, but if you pull it away from the tail you get few, if any bones.
If you haven't guessed by now, it was a kipper. 
A glass of an over chilled and unexceptional Gewürztraminer is easing me into happy reveries of days gone by. I'm posting it here as I can't share this moment with either of two special people in my life. One is dead, the other is thousands of miles away. 
I raise my glass and fondly toast you both.

No comments: